When you make a purchase through our links, we may earn a commission from Amazon. For more information about our affiliate policy click here.
Healthy Diet Cabbage Soup for Weight Loss
Healthy Diet Cabbage Soup is a great way to kick start your diet or to help keep your calorie count within a healthy weight loss range. It’s loaded with vegetables which will certainly go a long way in keeping you feeling satisfied for hours. It’s low calorie and low fat for fast weight loss or just for meeting your goal of eating a little healthier.
Of course, this Cabbage Soup isn’t just for weight loss, it’s so delicious you won’t even know that you’re revving up your metabolism and burning fat! I always make it the first week of the New Year to help me get back on track with healthy eating after indulging in all the Holiday goodies 🙂 It’s also a recurring favorite throughout the year, just because it’s so good! Believe me, you’re not even going to know that this Healthy Diet Cabbage Soup is something that some would call “diet food”. Indulge. You can lose weight without feeling hungry!
Cabbage Weight Loss Soup Over the Years
Different versions of this Diet Weight Loss Soup have been around since at least the 1970’s. It’s sometimes referred to as the 7 day diet or cabbage soup diet, but it’s important to not follow recipes that move too far from the original diet soup recipe. The point is to eat healthy while reducing calories. It’s cleansing, filling, healthy, and fat burning. Adding pasta, meat, starchy vegetables, etc. will undermine the point of this soup. I think you’re really going to love this recipe, it’s been a standard in my home for several decades. It stands the test of time for flavor and weight loss effectiveness!
What You’ll Need For Healthy Diet Cabbage Soup
- green bell peppers
- V8 juice or tomato juice
- canned whole, peeled, tomatoes
- canned Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
- can of beef consommé w/1 can water (or beef broth)
- Worcestershire sauce
- envelope of dry onion soup mix (Lipton or store brand)
- ancho chile powder, optional
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- ground turmeric
Make it Vegetarian or Vegan
With just a couple of quick substitutions this Healthy Cabbage Soup can easily fit into your vegetarian or vegan diet. For the beef consommé or stock, simply use water or a vegetarian vegetable stock. If you need a vegan cabbage soup, not only will you need to use water or a vegetable stock, but you can also substitute a vegan friendly Worcestershire sauce or use 1 tsp. liquid aminos (paid link) for the Worcestershire sauce called for in the recipe.
Healthy Diet Cabbage Soup is loaded with plenty of health benefits!
- Celery contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds. It’s low on the glycemic index and rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Carrots can help balance blood sugar, promote healthy vision, possibly lower cancer risk, regulate blood sugar, possibly reduce risk of heart disease, boost brain health, and support immunity.
- Onions can possibly help reduce cancer risk, fend off chronic conditions, protect against heart disease, lower cholesterol, manage high blood pressure, fight bacteria, and strengthen bones.
- Garlic can improve heart health, boost immunity, and reduce the risk of colon cancer. Garlic also has antibacterial properties and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Bell Peppers can help improve eye health and protect against anemia. They’re high in iron as well as rich in Vitamin C, which helps your body more efficiently absorb the iron.
- Cabbage can help lower blood pressure, improve digestion, and lower cholesterol. Cabbage is rich in Vitamin C as well as Vitamin K, antioxidants, and soluble fiber.
- Tomatoes can help lower cancer risk and improve heart health. Tomatoes are loaded with powerful antioxidants, can help lower cholesterol, increase immunity, and fight against free radical damage to healthy cells. Weight Loss Cabbage Soup contains tomatoes in a variety of ways: V8 and/or tomato juice, whole peeled tomatoes, Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies.
The following ingredients are not a significant source of health benefits because they are only used in small amounts, but they still add to the overall benefits of this Healthy Cabbage Soup.
Ancho chile powder is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant properties.
Black pepper is an antioxidant that can help lower the risk of chronic illnesses, such as cardiovascular disease, atherosclerosis, and neurological conditions. It can also help support the immune system, aid in intestinal health and digestion, as well as nutrient bioavailability.
Turmeric can help reduce inflammation and the risk of heart disease as well as improve memory, fight free radicals, and lessen pain. Turmeric can also help reduce cancer risk, and even help fight depression.
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 6 carrots, cut into 1/2" rounds
- 3-4 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cabbage, large head, chopped
- 64 oz. V8 juice, or tomato juice, (2 quarts)
- 28 oz. whole peeled tomatoes, can, with liquid
- 28 oz. Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies, can
- 10 oz. beef consommé, condensed, with 1 can water
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 oz. dry onion soup mix, 1 envelope
- 1/2 tsp. ancho chile powder, optional
- 1/2-1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- water, as needed
- Place all the ingredients in a large soup or stock pot, breaking up the whole tomatoes as you add them. (Just squeeze each tomato in your hand.)
- Over medium high heat, bring pot to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered with lid slightly ajar, for about 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. If necessary, add water to desired consistency.