Pan Steamed Broccoli
Steaming broccoli ensures that flavor and nutrients are locked in; however, with thick stems and tender florets, it is not always easy to get the perfect balance. The simple trick to perfectly steamed broccoli is to ensure that the tougher stalk is cooked through without overcooking the florets. The process is easy and can quickly be accomplished in a large saute pan. No matter what broccoli recipe you use, if the broccoli is not cooked properly your dish will never taste great. learn how to steam broccoli to perfection and all your broccoli recipes will be rewarded.
1/3 cup water
1 tsp kosher salt
2 T butter, optional
- Cut florets from stalks. Large florets can be cut into bite-sized pieces. Rinse in colander and set aside.
- Trim tough ends of stalk. Peel outer layer of stalk to remove hard or dried areas. Cut stalk in half, lengthwise; continue cutting into lengthwise slices that are about 1/4-inch thick. If you want shorter pieces, cut strips in half.
- Place the stalk pieces in the bottom of a large saute pan; add water and salt. Place florets on top of the stalks. (The stalks will act like a natural rack to keep the florets lifted out of the liquid and will help keep them from becoming overcooked.)
- Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and turn heat on to high; cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and continue cooking another 3 to 5 minutes until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Remove from heat. Toss with butter if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 8 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Microformatting by hRecipe.
How to Steam Broccoli
With the stalks cut into even lengths, they cook through without becoming mushy. They also act as a natural rack to keep the tender florets out of the cooking liquid so that they can gently steam to a perfect tenderness.
Broccoli florets will steam gently on top of the cut stalks.
Perfectly steamed broccoli every time!
Add broccoli to your vegetable selection at least two or three times each week. This low-fat, low-calorie, healthy vegetable packs a powerhouse of nutrition and cancer fighting benefits.
Pan Steamed Broccoli,