Sweet and Crunchy Caramel Corn
Perfect Caramel Corn is Easy to Make
This caramel corn recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and crunchy. Once you get started, you won’t want to stop!
1 c butter
2 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 c light corn syrup
1 tsp baking soda
6 quarts popped popcorn
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, salt, and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add baking soda and stir until well combined.
- Place popcorn in a large roaster pan; pour the hot caramel mixture over the popcorn and toss to coat well. Work quickly so that the caramel doesn’t start to thicken before you’re done coating all of the popcorn.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Let the caramel corn cool, then store in an airtight container.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Microformatting by hRecipe.
How to Make Homemade Caramel Corn
In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, salt, and corn syrup. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Continue boiling for 5 minutes.
Remove the caramel syrup from the heat and stir in the baking soda until it’s well combined. The baking soda will cause the mixture to bubble up some, so be very careful. The caramel syrup is extremely hot and will burn if you get it on your skin.
Place the popped popcorn in a large roaster pan; carefully pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn. Toss to coat well. You’ll need to work quickly in order to get the popcorn thoroughly coated before it gets too sticky. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool, and store in an airtight container.