If you are looking for a delicious dinner that will feed a crowd, this baked ziti recipe is always a hit. Baked ziti with sausage is easy to make, but tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen. Serve with fresh garlic bread and a tossed salad.
1 lb dry ziti pasta (16 oz pkg)
1 lb Italian sausage, casing removed
1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
1 onion, minced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 – 26 oz jars spaghetti sauce, divided
10 oz. shredded Italian cheese blend
1 tsp dried basil
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Fill a large pasta or stock pot with water, add a good pinch of salt and bring to a full boil. When the water comes to a rapid boil, add the ziti; stir and bring back up to a full boil. Cook uncovered until the pasta is al dente, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. The pasta should be cooked through, but still have a little texture or firmness to it. Drain well.
- While the pasta is cooking, brown the sausage in a large skillet. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent and tender. Drain fat from sausage mixture and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ricotta, egg and oregano. Stir in the sausage mixture, 1 jar of spaghetti sauce and the drained pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the greased baking dish pour in 1/3 of the second jar of spaghetti sauce. Layer half of the pasta mixture on top of the sauce. Top pasta with 1/2 of the remaining sauce in the jar and half of the shredded Italian cheese. Repeat layers with remaining pasta and spaghetti sauce, top with the rest of the shredded cheese. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with dried basil.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place on baking sheet.
- Bake about 20 minutes until the casserole is heated through. Uncover and continue baking for another 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Microformatting by hRecipe.
Baked Ziti with Sausage
Brown Italian sausage, onion and garlic; drain.
Combine ricotta, 1 jar of spaghetti sauce, egg and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
Gently stir in the sausage and onion mixture and the cooked ziti.
In a greased baking dish, pour 1/3 jar of spaghetti sauce in bottom and spread evenly. Add half of the pasta mixture, cover with half of the remaining spaghetti sauce and top with half of the shredded cheese. Layer again with the remaining pasta mixture, last third of spaghetti sauce and remaining shredded cheese. Sprinkle top of casserole with dried basil. Cover tightly with foil.
Bake about 20 minutes; remove foil and continue baking for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until cheese is completely melted, casserole is hot and bubbly and the top is golden brown.
Baked Ziti is delicious served with easy homemade garlic bread and a tossed salad.