Chicken Pot Pie
Absolutely the best chicken pot pie you will ever taste. Not only is it delicious, but it’s an excellent way to use leftover chicken (or turkey) and the kids will be eating all their veggies! Once you taste this pot pie, you will never want to buy store bought again.
1 c carrots, diced
1 c corn, frozen
1/2 c green peas, frozen
1/3 cup onion, diced
1/2 c flour
1/3 c milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp celery seed
Preheat oven to 475° F.
- Roll out one pie crust and use it to line an 8 cup casserole. Blind bake at 475° F for 5 to 8 minutes until light golden brown. Set aside.
Turn oven down to 425° F.
- In a large saucepan combine the diced potatoes, carrots and chicken broth. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer until vegetables are almost fork tender.
- Add frozen corn, peas and chicken; bring back to boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter; add onion and cook until tender and transparent.
- Gradually whisk in flour to form a roux; cook for about 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Ladle chicken broth from vegetable mixture and add gradually to the roux, whisking to combine. Continue adding more broth to the roux and whisking until you have a nice gravy. Whisk in milk, salt, black pepper and celery seed.
- Add the thickened gravy mixture to the pan of cooked chicken and vegetables. Stir well to combine.
- Roll out the second pie crust so that it is about 1 inch larger than the casserole.
- Fill pastry lined casserole with hot chicken and vegetable mixture. Place top crust over filling. Crimp or flute edges and trim off excess pastry.
- Make several slits in top crust to allow steam to vent.
- Place casserole on a baking sheet and bake in preheated 425° F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Microformatting by hRecipe.
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
Cook vegetables and chicken in chicken broth.
Cook onions in butter until translucent.
Make a roux by whisking in flour.
Add the roux to the vegetable and chicken mixture. Heat until it just comes to a boil.
Top casserole with pastry and make several slits to vent.
Bake until golden brown and filling is bubbly.