4 c. frozen mixed berries with their juice, thawed
1 c. sugar or 3/4 c. honey
2 tsp corn starch
1 T water
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- In a small bowl, add cornstarch and water and stir to dissolve; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine thawed berries, their juice, sugar and lemon zest. Heat over medium-high until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil; stir often.
- Just before the mixtuer comes to a full boil, you will notice small bubbles form along the edge of the pan, this is when you want to stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Let the fruit mixture boil for one minute to allow the cornstarch to cook; do not overcook the fruit or it will begin to break down.
- Remove fruit from heat; it will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Serve the fruit compote at room temperature or warmed slightly.
Delicious served over ice cream, yogurt or cakes. Stir into oatmeal or add to smoothies.
Compotes can be made with almost any type of fruit. Sweetener will need to be adjusted depending on the sweetness of the fruit being used. Fruits that have a lot of liquid, such as peaches may need an extra teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken the syrup.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)